Wednesday 9 June 2010

Yet another “interesting” migration Experience (BB Curve to Storm)

Hopefully Blackberry fans will be interested by this post (IBMers or non-IBMers)..

 

First let me say, I always liked blackberry products, but I love even more the Storm 2!! And yes I do like iPhones too but from a mobile working perfective I truly believe the BlackBerry outperformed the iPhone! (And I am not being bias lol ;-))

 

Some Background..

I have being on a curve 8310 for almost two years now & I didn’t think I would change for another device till the Storm 2 came to life.. Last Thursday I’ve got my upgrade to Storm 2, and I knew that I would have challenges to get some of the IBM applications working on it but I was determined to move whatever it cost.. Oh Boy! what was I thinking!? ;-)

 

The Migration

So last Thursday (may 27th) I started 1st phase of migration – both of the Device were on OS5.0, & therefore I thought to myself (naively) the straight easy route was to just use “application transfer” feature from the Desktop Mgr.. once transfer complete the Storm kept freezing on a application permission request (see below) which I had posted on PinStack.com. as explained in that post, the Desktop Mgr could not see the 9550 BB device anymore, tried battery out/in few times, etc.. nothing worked, finally gave-up at 2:00AM!

APP premission request

 

Friday afternoon, after spending lots of time searching for a solution I finally got my hands on a Free SW called BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife), small little app but very very powerful, it has everything a developer / advanced user would need (see screenshot below)! I was able to wipe everything on the BB & re-installed the right OS on it. I then re-run the “Transfer Application”, this time, selecting only the work related ones such as Sametime, LC client, Quickr, LotusLive, W3 mobile BP, n.Fluent, SWG Mobile Product Guide..

BBSAK App screenshot

Unfortunately things got worse for me, now device stopped during boot-up, so access to it from PC using BBSAK at all, at this stage we are already Friday evening back home, after spending several hours to try to “resuscitate” this “new” zombie device, I got it detected again by BBSAK (old trick I remembered from my old days as network admin re:FTP). I wipe the whole thing again, gone to bed at 1:30AM with new & clean OS on the Storm (once again!!).

 

9:00AM Saturday Morning, gave-up on the “transfer of application” & decided to install all Apps one by one. So 1st thing I had to do was to compile a list of all URL for all the apps I needed to install, OTA & non-OTA, & get BES profile activated on the new device, this took me a good few hours to find..

 

LotusLive Mobile for BB & iPhone

https://greenhouse.lotus.com/lotuslivemobile

All other SW such as twitter, facebook, linkedIn, etc..

http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware

 

Here is what my Storm2 looks like now after installation of all relevant SW. After few days of usage, I love the “SurePress” technology, I am now as fast or even faster at typing messages (updates or mails) and/or using shortcuts such as copy/paste, move. etc....

Storm 9550 main screen    Storm 9550 apps screen

(note: the new LC2 & Quickr clients installation steps are provided by the authorised sources)

No comments: