Wednesday 4 May 2011

How tough is your Smartphone / Tablet.?

Tuesday 19th April at 17:00 I arrived home & realised I had misplaced my Samsung Galaxy tab. My Eldest son Andrew had just spent the day in work with me, which always brings some degree of distraction to me..! ;-)

Anyway I rang my colleague Marco, who was still in work & asked him to look for my phone (thought I had left in my lab..). Marco looked for it & even rang my phone few times but in vain.. (this is an important detail for later in this story).

7pm, I decided to go back to work to look for it myself. When I got there, I had a flashback of what had happened to it in the car park.. At around 5pm when getting into the car, car windscreenI was fully loaded with bags and the Android phone tablet in one hand. The car space on the passager door was very narrow for Andrew to fit in, so I put down my bags & phone (on the windscreen of the car) to help Andrew to get in the car, I then  picked up the bags & drove off and of course forgot all about my Galaxy Tab on the corner of the windscreen.

When I realised what had happened I drove back & forth between Work & Home to try to locate the tablet on the side of the road but in vain.. At that stage I had wished I had installed “where is my Droid” application which can make your phone ring even if silent & can also provide GPS coordinate when texting to it (now on it;-))!!

Needless to say that my tablet had all relevant security SW installed & enabled to prevent theft but still I was very distraught of my misfortune.. I reported the incident to O2 which disabled phone & SIM card straight away, I also reported incident to IBM security hoping that someone would found it & return it back to me, but I did no hear about it during all day Wednesday & at that moment I really thought my phone tablet was gone for ever..

missed callsTo my surprise (and good fortune), Thursday morning, Marco got a phone call from a gentleman named Mateusz stating that Marco’s number came up when turning on a Smartphone he had found! Amazingly the Galaxy tab was able to display the last missed call on top of the screen at the same time the PIN code is to be entered (see pic on left). I did not know my phone could do that, can yours do that!? So anyhow, Mateusz took the number down & rang Marco. 

What is even more amazing, is that Mateusz explained that he had found the tablet about 7km away from IBM at the Dunboyne/Rataoth roundabout (an exit off the M3). As he drove around it he saw something shining in the middle of the road, which he thought looked like a iPad & cars were driving over it, the last car that he saw driving over it was a jeep!! When he told me that fact I was expecting to do some extensive repairs on my Samsung Galaxy tab, but he said it looked like it was still working (did wonder what this exactly meant)..!? And as the tablet was right in middle of the road he had to stop all the traffic of the roundabout to pick it up (A courageous act from Mateusz!)..

And even more amazing, Mateusz happens to be the husband of Monika who works in IBM, and that evening he was on his way back home to Dunboyne (where I live) after collecting his wife from IBM (where I also work).. Double Wow!

Thursday 4:30pm, I met Mateusz & Monika outside the IBM building where I was handed over the Samsung Galaxy Tab and to my surprise the phone had not a scratch on it, not even a small one! In return, to express my gratitude, I gave a well deserved “thank you” gift to Mateusz for being my guardian angel that day!! 

unscratched tablet Yes this is as good as it gets, even after been thrown off of a moving car & driven over by several cars the tablet is still in one piece & with not a single scratch whatsoever (see pic on right)..!!

 

..Now, tell me, how good is your Smartphone / tablet.!? lol ;-)

 

3 comments:

Brian O'Donovan (BOD) said...

Great news about the fact you got your tablet back - I know how much you love it and so you would probably be very upset not to have it.

Also a good idea to turn a simple mistake into a case of "testing out how rugged is my tablet"

Fred said...

Yes Glad I got it back & good to see that there still good people like Mateusz in this world! ;-)

Unknown said...

Thats great!! :)